Tuesday, October 6, 2009

DORIS DUKE - I'M A LOSER (1969)


As this kind of deep soul isn't usually what I listen to I'm fighting my conscience a little bit... this may actually be THE best album EVER! Heavy stuff...

The first twenty seconds of the album is so ethereal, almost unreal - then BAM! - reality hits you right in the face about half an hour! And it isn't a light slap on the cheek, it's a Heavy Weight champion knock out!

Doris isn't a singer in the league of some of the super soul sisters, but that only adds to the drama. This is a real woman, living in reality - joys, tears, successes, hardships. Her voice has an earthy quality which makes every single word believable, and the warmth of her tone can bring a tear to your eyes when it conflicts with the harsh lyrics. You better believe her, this IS life, for better or worse. And 'I'm A Loser' is in my book THE GREATEST ALBUM EVER!

Have a listen and judge for yourself!

Doris Duke - I'm A Loser

No comments:

Post a Comment